Tuesday, July 26, 2005

DOA hard drive

Well I got my hard drive as expected today. Unpacked it carefully, removed my secondary harddrive (Seagate) and installed the new one (in slave position as I want to clone it later with Clone 2003). Booted my PC.

Got this instead:



The new drive is dying faster than my three year old drive, which it (the new one) was supposed to replace! Numerous utilities later and a 2 hour failed attempt at cloning, I believe it is fair to say that I received a dud Maxtor.


E-mailed Overclock. Let's see what they think about it.

Update: Well my RMA request has been authorised. Will send it back tomorrow.

4 comments:

鬼徒二等兵 said...

I've always trusted Seagate's HDD to store my precious data and I'm owning 5 of them now on two saperate PCs with the oldest one for more than 4 years. Maxtor and Western Digital mostly outshine Seagate in areas of speed and heat.
But the gap in speed between them isn't that much to make a difference. The slower speed, quieter run and cooler operation on Seagate's HDD guarantees me better reliability.
That's my personal experience but from time to time you'll probably run into a few DoAs due to mass production and looser quality control.I've always trusted Seagate's HDD to my precious data and I'm owning 5 of them now on two separate PCs with the oldest one for more than 4 years. Maxtor and Western Digital mostly outshine Seagate in areas of speed and heat.
But the gap in speed between them isn't that much to make a difference. The slower speed, quieter run and cooler operation on Seagate's HDD guarantees me better reliability.
That's my personal experience but from time to time you'll probably run into a few DoAs due to mass production and looser quality control.

Anonymous said...

As a matter of fact, as we are planning the NLE Station for my movie, we use Seagates as the Storage Drives, while we use WD Raptors as Input and Buffer drives (2 input drives)

And, Jon, wanna fund my film?

Anonymous said...

I have WDs in the past and two failed me. I never had problems with Maxtor or Seagates. People always say Seagate is the best.

Jon Choo said...

I am aware of the bad rep on WD drives, never own one so no comment. Heh.

Sorry Chewxy, no money...