Thursday, August 11, 2005

Music Review: Alabama 3 - Exile on Coldharbour Lane


I enjoyed Alabama 3's performance so much during last weekend's Ben & Jerry's Sundae I converted (not to Christianity of course) and got their Exile on Coldharbour Lane album.

Despite the name, Alabama 3 isn't from Alabama. They are based in Brixton and is led by a certain Reverend Dr D. Wayne Love. Music is a blend of American mid-western country music and acid techno. Combined with the eccentricity of his posse Alabama 3 sure knows how to make great music and this album excels in just that front.

With mixture of south Christian messages, drug-taking and Marxist ideology, the album is an enjoyable ride through seriously fun music. The first track Converted has a gospel blurbing out "let's go back to church," and with titles like Mao Tse Tung Said, you just can't help grinning.

I love
Woke Up This Morning, personally my favourite among this gem of an album. This, I was told, is the title track to The Sopranos. Since I have never watched the hit telly show, like ever, it is safe to say that I am enjoying it. I might even get The Sopranos DVD after this.

Satirical, cynically, moody, humourous and down right funny - get this album now.

No comments: