Monday, June 13, 2005

Shure e2c

My Amazon UK order has finally arrived. Been testing it for a few days now. The sound is a little muddled for now. Am going to give it a few weeks to break in before concluding.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The packaging is impressive. You get three pairs of foams sleeves and three pairs of plastic flex sleeves, a soft carry case, user manual, a set of wax filters and warranty slip.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It is huge when compared to Jenni's Sony MDR-EX71SL.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

You will need to apply the wax filter before using it. There are five pairs that comes with the e2c.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

All Shures are required to be worn over the ear as shown above. This is pretty comfortable but needs getting used to. Not a perfect set of earphones for people who needs to remove it quickly. The cables then goes through the back of the body instead of the front. (My ears looks greasy - yeeuch..!)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I picked up sounds that I have never heard when I tested it with British Sea Power's The Decline Of British Sea Power album using Jenni's Palm Tungsten T3 (PocketTunes Pro 3.x). The production on this album is very raw so there were many background noises that was picked up even at low 64kbps Ogg compression.

At a lower compression (128kbps) the sound quality improved vastly. Previously I wasn't able to tell any difference between a 64kbps and 128kbps encoded tracks but now it is possible. I will stick with 128kbps for now until I get one of those 4Gb SD cards.

The noise isolation is terrific. I am using it with the smallest pair of plastic flex sleeves and was riding on the tube and hardly heard a thing apart from the occasionally train screeches. The isolation is much better than the EX71SL.

The build quality is extremely well done. The cables are thicker than matches. Very tough. The e2c should be able to cope with very harsh usage. Hopefully.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the cord produce 'echos' when it hits something like your shirt or body? I have a Etymotic ER6i, a noise isolator like your Shure and sound travels whenever the cable scraps my shirt.

Jon Choo said...

No echos or whatever sound traveling through the hollowed cord. I did say that the cords are match stick size didn't I?

Which was one of the reasons why I went for the e2c instead of the ER6i. I had problems with Sony's EX70 (which was fixed on the EX71) where it is sensitive to shirt scrubbing.

The cord on the e2c seems durable and from what I read on teh interweb the ER6i (which has thin cords) it seems the 6i has problem with noice echo.

Which is weird because the ER6i costs 30 squid more than the e2c.

Kat said...

I bought EX71 from Littlewoods the other day. Haven't really gotten used to it yet. Though I ain't complaining since I got 40% off for it.

Jon Choo said...

You are so lucky! I searched Littlewoods for a replacement for my dead EX71 but all were sold out.

Anonymous said...

The flex sleeves is crappy on my ears. In the end had to order the SOFT flex sleeves from shure. $13 for a pack of five pairs.

Jon Choo said...

I tried to insert my EX71's soft silicon(?) sleeves but couldn't work.