Sunday, April 10, 2005

Music Review: New Order - Waiting For The Sirens' Call


Having never actually listened to anything by
New Order or Joy Division, you would have thought I was mad to pay money to purchase this album. But I love to experiment with my music pallet. Incidentally, the place I bought it from has a pretty good returns policy, so no harm there.

Waiting For The Sirens' Call
is a radio friendly album. Sorry if that sounded harsh but it is. Very poppy alternative rock with very little of the supposed punk sound that was said to inhibit their 1980s albums. That is not really a bad thing as I have already grown out of my angst ridden music collection a couple of years ago.

The whole album is pretty ordinary. What do you expect from tracks like
Who's Joe?, a pretty ordinary track name that would not look out of place from an O.C. (urghhh...) soundtrack? The rest are pretty normal too with the occasional few bad ones (I Told You So). The mixture of dance tunes with pop rock churning is one to be avoided. But there are some good ones too. Low Life and Technique are two examples of what electro-rock should sound like.

Probably the track I most enjoyed is the weird (for rock's standard) sounding Jetstream, featuring Scissor Sisters' Ana Matronic mellow vocals. Well I like Scissor Sisters, but am I suppose to like this? I don't know...but it is the one I most enjoyed simply because it sounded different from the rest of the album.

Will I keep this album? Probably not. A couple of good tracks here and there but not a classic one that deserves to grace my high rise CD tower. For now I will stick with
British Sea Power and Mercury Rev as my main source of Brit Rock thank you.

6/10

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was pretty good. Well, see ya later.

-jim-