Sunday, November 29, 2009

Feringgi Bay, Edgware Road

I have been meaning to write something about this Malaysian restaurant ever since I was introduced to it in summer. The restaurant is located in Edgware Road Colindale, a short walk from the old Oriental City building where they once did business there as Oriental Garden.

Feringgi Bay's name comes from the popular tourist destination Batu Feringgi beach strip on the northern coast of Penang, Malaysia. I have been there a couple of times and while it is a lovely strip, it is pretty much a tourist beach. But enough of that.

The service here is brilliant if a bit slow. Once our main meals arrived about 15 minutes apart which I found unacceptable. Fortunately delays like this does not occur too often and seem to be isolated to whenever I order the Nasi Lemak. The staff are courteous and friendly throughout.

The prawn noodles is pretty authentic, and probably second only to the one served in the resurrected Kopi Tiam (now on Charring Cross after a series of disaster expansions...). The Nasi Lemak is pretty good as well, though I wouldn't classify the sambal as overly authentic. The portion is generous, a snip at about £6.50. Other recommendations includes the Laksa, Char Kway Teow and Tofu Rojak.

A meal for two with starter and drinks generally come out at about £24, which is pretty decent. You will do much worse with some of the newer and trendy high end oriental bar/restaurants in the West End.

It is definitely worth the effort of making a visit. There are a number of bus services to Edgware Road, including the 142 from Brent Cross and 32 from Kilburn. They are open daily except for Wednesdays. Do note that they get very busy at times (it isn't a huge restaurant) and are popular with the local oriental community.

Address: 225, Edgware Road, Colindale, London

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went to this restaurent yesterday and the food is lousy.
My husband ordered a Nasi Lemak Ayam and I have claypot chicken rice. My husband wanted to ordered beef rendang as a side for the nasi lemak and was told all food is pre pack in the box. So they dont sell that separately unless we order another nase lemak with beef rendang.

Anyway, the chickens in our meal seems to be in the fridge for few days. I will not go back to this restaurent again. I rather go to the one in China Town called Rasa Sayang !